Yesterday was one of those days where I got everything done and then some. From the moment I woke up, I tackled my list like I would tackle someone who stole my bar of chocolate. By noon, I had already walked the dog, gone to the store, baked a cake, done laundry, and vacuumed the apartment. Yeah, like a boss. Was it really necessary to bake a cake at 10am? Abso-freaking-lutely. Because you can’t make these babies without baking a cake first:
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package cake mix
- 1 (16 ounce) container prepared cake frosting
- 6 ounces of chocolate flavored confectioners coating disks or bar (available in white chocolate, dark or milk)
- Food Coloring (optional)
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the box. When cake is finished baking allow to cool for 30 minutes. Crumble the cake into a large bowl using a stand mixer or a hand mixer. Add the frosting and mix until well combined. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Line a baking tray with wax paper. Use a melon baller as a scooper to form balls with the cake mixture. Place on wax paper. Once you have used all of the cake mixture, place the baking tray in the freezer for 1 hour. Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl of the microwave, stirring every 5-10 seconds until smooth. At this point you can add a bit of food coloring if you are using white chocolate.
- Remove the balls from the freezer. Using one toothpick, pick up the balls one at a time and dip in the chocolate. Use a second toothpick to slide the ball off the first toothpick onto the wax paper lined baking tray.
- Once you have covered all the balls in chocolate coating place the tray in the refrigerator until the chocolate coating is set. At this point you can drizzle other chocolate on the balls for decoration.
Yes, this sooo happened! I opted for the oddball (tee hee, cake ball humor) combination of German Chocolate Cake, Butter Cream Frosting, and Butterscotch Chips (I couldn’t find coating discs at Safeway). What can I say? I like to go all out, balls out (har har, more cake ball humor).
Oh, and the boyfriend verdict? “These are the best thing you have ever made. These are the best thing ever!” Now that’s a ballsy statement!