As my life slowly transitions from being a young, cool person who goes to parties and does exciting things, to one of a 80-year-old woman who is actively petitioning for marriage to one’s cat to be legal, I am learning a great deal about life. For example, did you know that all the best things in life happen as a result of laziness? It’s true. I can’t think of any examples except for the recipe I am about to give you, but believe me, it is true.
I got a text from Steve today asking if I could bake something to send to some friends. Uh, does Charlie Sheen like porn stars? Of course I would. I took this request and, due to laziness, ended up baking something that would make a grown cat cry (Can cats cry?). Here’s the lazy part: We were out of powdered sugar and going to the store was just out of the question. So, I cranked up the ol’ thinker and tried to find something with a similar consistency to powdered sugar. Logical? Not so much. Brilliant? Absolutely. Well, I happened to have an opened box of cake mix. And thus, this most beautiful of recipes was born.
Twice-Baked Cake Frosted Cookies
- 1/4 lb. butter
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 c. sifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- colored sprinkles or sugar for decorating
- 2 cups yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tbs milk
- Melt butter in microwave.
- Add sugar, egg, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt over mixture and blend thoroughly. Place pan with dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Divide dough in half.
- Remove from refrigerator and place cookies, about 2 tbs of dough each, on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 11-15 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, cream together the cake mix and butter until smooth.
- Gradually mix in the milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff, about 5 minutes. Color with food coloring if desired.
- Frost cookies and decorate with sprinkles.
- Place the cookies back in the oven for 5 minutes.
On another note, congratulations to my little sister who got her acceptance letter from UCLA today! I hope she also gets in to less sucky schools, but congrats nevertheless. 🙂